Sunday, March 10, 2013

1 Gallon+

I made it to a major milestone in February! I hit the 1 gallon plus mark for blood donations with The Blood Alliance and I was able to donate double reds for the first time because my iron count finally wasn't below where it needed to be (it is typically around the 12.5 range and I was in the 15+ range!). I have donated more lifetime and included a picture from my first donation from almost 7 years ago. My cousin Tim took me so I could get a free BYU t-shirt and he was up for his next donation too.
Summer 2007 in Provo, UT
Donating blood is a safe practice that can save up to 3 lives per donation. It is something small that you can do to bless other's lives and doesn't hurt or take long (less than 1 hour or so). So many people can't donate either because of their own illnesses or other limitations so you have to qualify for it. If I think about it, I donated at least 11 pints which amounts to 33 lives which is so cool.

Most donation centers also store data for you as well so you can monitor some of your vitals. For example, in an effort to improve my overall health, I have been working out more. I started donating blood with this group in the fall of 2011 and my cholesterol count has gone from 177 to 142 during that time which is one way below the surface that I can see changes in my blood from good eating and exercise. Some centers even offer rewards points or hold drawings for free cars and other big prizes.

Just getting started on the double red machine - There are no needle pictures. Just pictures of the machine but if you don't like blood, I'd just jump straight to the next post. 
In the middle of the separation process. The machines are so smart and even though double red donations take a little longer, they do use a smaller needle... and the phlebotomists always give you great sodas/juices and snacks. When you leave, they also tell you to eat really good meals and to not exercise. I'd say check AND check! :)
The machine is filling the 2 right bags with red blood cells only so it is separating the white blood cells and platelets out giving me back a Na mixture that will keep me from losing energy. This donation type can only be done every 4 months.
If you are interested in donating but are a little nervous about it or have questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I'd be more than happy to go with you too... just not until I am eligible again in June.

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome! I wish my iron count was high enough to even donate. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete